Friday, August 26, 2011

Reading Now

Consider the Lobster by David Foster Wallace a very insightful, witty, and enjoyable book given me by my good buddy Josh. This one's a bit high brow for most readers given one essay is criticising John Updike (Rabbit Angstrom: A Tetrology: Rabbit, Run; Rabbit Redux; Rabbit Is Rich; Rabbit at Rest) and anothe points out the humor of Kafka (Franz Kafka: The Complete Stories.) (Yes, I said that right.) 

Good stuff. The analysis of Bloomington/Normal as typical Mid-Western culture was pretty much right on (I'm from Peoria, Il. myself.)

Also reading Age of American Unreason which is about what you'd expect and just finished reading Decline of Men, again, about what you'd respect.

So all in all, I'm pretty much doing what David Brooks expects, by reading books that simply confirm what I already believe.

Except I never really thought of Kafka as funny till now. So there's something new I've learned.


No comments:

Post a Comment